Federal Drug Trafficking Penalties
If you have been charged with a federal drug trafficking offense, there is very little standing in the way of years in prison and heavy fines. Your only hope of protecting your life and your future is to secure the services of an experienced lawyer you can trust.
If you have been charged with a felony drug crime in federal court, call 866-718-3994 to arrange an appointment with attorney Frank Rubino in Miami.
Choose An Experienced Attorney Who Can Help You Build A Solid Defense
For more than 30 years, attorney Frank Rubino has been fighting for the rights of people accused of the most serious felony drug crimes — clients at high risk for lengthy prison sentences. He has handled numerous high-profile drug cases for clients in the U.S., and those extradited to the U.S. from various South and Central American countries.
Sentencing Guideline Basics
Federal drug laws specify minimum and maximum terms of imprisonment, based on the type and quantity of drugs involved. Likewise, under the federal sentencing guidelines, these factors are taken into account, along with:
- Whether the offense involved injury to another person
- Whether a weapon was possessed or used
- The defendant’s criminal history
Federal Sentencing Guidelines Are Just A Starting Point
- While judges have discretion to depart from guidelines, they must still stay within the mandatory minimum and maximum terms specified by statute. Where the offense occurs in a school or other protected zone, penalties may be enhanced.
Most judges use the federal drug sentencing guidelines as a starting point in determining how to sentence someone convicted of a drug crime. They provide a baseline to which additional years in prison may be added if there are other factors involved in the crime such as:
- Crossing state or national borders
- Whether weapons were used or present
- The extent of the drug operation — conspiracy or racketeering charges
- Your role in the operation
It’s essential that your defense lawyer understands the federal drug sentencing guidelines in order to effectively argue for a downward departure, should you be found guilty. The goal is always to minimize the consequences you face.
Further Information About Penalties
The following table details the penalties for federal drug trafficking crimes in the U.S. It can be found at the website of the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration.